Top 5 Ways to Recognize Symptoms of Depression:
Client will sometimes come into my office wondering if they have symptoms of depression and will share some of their struggles. Often clients do not want to share with family or friends that they are struggling. It’s important to seek help and support, especially if you are feeling overwhelmed and have been dealing with the symptoms over a long period of time. It’s also much easier to work to eliminate the symptoms in the early stages, rather than waiting till life becomes more unmanageable.
The following are ways to recognize if you have symptoms of Depression:
1. Feeling hopeless or helpless about life, experiencing feelings of sadness or emptiness.
2. Your emotions are all over the place with mood swings, crying, anger, and feeling overwhelmed and unable to cope.
3. Depression will rob you of your energy, and you may often feel lethargic, leading to sleeping too much or too little.
4. You lose interest in or avoid things/people that once gave you pleasure and happiness.
5. At its worst, depression can lead to suicidal thoughts and feeling there is no hope.
People don’t choose to be depressed, but can make a choice about how to deal with it. If you ignore the symptoms, and deny you are struggling, it may get worse. Just take a first step to reach out for help. Depression is real but can be treated with medication and psychotherapy.
If you are worried about a loved one, listen to them, validate their feelings without questioning them, and urge them to seek out professional help.
For a 15 minute complimentary conversation about the symptoms of depression, contact me at https://www.lisefitzsimmonstherapy.com/contact.
Registered Psychotherapist (Qualifying)